News:

Truex wins Championship! Thanks everyone for a great year!

Topic: NASCAR suspends three crew chiefs  (Read 127 times)

yisman June 02, 2016, 04:42:43 PM

• View Profile
http://www.foxsports.com/nascar/story/crew-chiefs-suspended-brian-pattie-greg-biffle-kurt-busch-aj-allmendinger-060116?=_mid&_rid=362529.12300.85463&cmpid=emc:fscom:nascar

NASCAR came down hard on Wednesday, suspending three crew chiefs for various infractions that occurred last weekend at Charlotte Motor Speedway.

Hardest hit was Brian Pattie, crew chief for Greg Biffle and the No. 16 Roush Fenway Racing Ford. Pattie was fined $50,000, suspended from all NASCAR Series Championship Points Events through June 15, and placed on NASCAR probation through Dec. 31; team has been assessed with the loss of 15 championship owner and 15 championship driver points.

Pattie was tagged for unapproved body modifications, per NASCAR's rule book (Sections 12-1; 20.4.1; 20.4.2 a,b,c; 12.5.3.4.1 c).

Meanwhile, Tony Gibson, crew chief for Kurt Busch's Stewart-Haas Racing Chevrolet, and AJ Allmendinger's crew chief Randall Burnett were each suspended for this weekend's event at Pocono Raceway because of lug nut violations

Burnett and Gibson each was fined $20,000 and placed on probation through the end of the year.

Other, lesser penalties also were handed out: Mike Bugarewicz, crew chief for Tony Stewart, was placed on probation, while Paul Menard will be docked 15 minutes of practice time at Pocono for a pre-race inspection issue.

The teams of Aric Almirola, Dale Earnhardt Jr., Jimmie Johnson and Matt Kenseth all got written warnings for pre-qualifying inspection issues.

5mike5 June 02, 2016, 04:57:30 PM (#1)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Damn they brought down the hammer this week.  I hadn't seen this yet.   Wow

yisman June 02, 2016, 05:54:53 PM (#2)

• View Profile
got it in a foxsports e-mail which also included:

http://www.foxsports.com/nascar/story/danica-patrick-daytona-international-speedway-coke-zero-400-sprint-cup-series-cooking-060116?=_mid&_rid=362529.12300.85463&cmpid=emc:fscom:nascar

well at least she can do something, I guess, because she sucks at racing, like Tony Stewart.

yisman June 08, 2016, 04:08:27 PM (#3)

• View Profile
http://www.foxsports.com/nascar/story/kyle-larson-nascar-suspends-crew-chief-chard-johnston-sprint-cup-series-pocono-raceway-060816?=_mid=362781&_rid=362781.12300.85341&cmpid=emc:fscom:nascar

Kyle Larson's crew chief Chad Johnston has been suspended by NASCAR through June 15 after lug nuts were not properly installed after Monday's NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race at Pocono Raceway.

5mike5 June 08, 2016, 05:32:08 PM (#4)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
About the dumbest rule I've ever heard of

5mike5 June 09, 2016, 08:40:56 AM (#5)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
About the dumbest rule I've ever heard of

I mean let me get this straight.  They see/find a loose lug nut on a wheel that a pit crew member missed it didn't get right enough and the crew chief gets sidelined for a week or weeks.  Like the team wants that or the lug nut guy doesn't want ALL the nuts tightened on the wheel going 150-200 mph?!no driver or team want to worry about a possible lose wheel.

Or am I missing the point or someone?   

Was listening to Tony Gibson after he was suspended when his driver Busch won this week and he was talking about how rediculous this rule is and there is gonna be ALOT of these penalties coming all year

yisman June 09, 2016, 04:23:54 PM (#6)

• View Profile
http://www.foxsports.com/nascar/story/analysis-the-worst-may-be-yet-to-come-for-nascar-crew-chiefs-060916?=_mid&_rid=362832.12300.85311&cmpid=emc:fscom:nascar

In NASCAR as in life, be careful what you ask for. You just might get it.

If you don't believe it, just look at NASCAR's Sprint Cup Series penalty reports for the last two weekends.

Following the Coca-Cola 600, Randall Burnett, the crew chief for AJ Allmendinger, and Kurt Busch's crew chief, Tony Gibson, were each suspended for one race because of lug nut violations.

This week, Kyle Larson will be without his crew chief Chad Johnston for a similar violation in Monday's race at Pocono.

For those of you keeping score at home, that's three crew chiefs suspended in two weeks for lug nut violations. And there are 22 races left in the season; if the rate of suspensions continues for the rest of the year, we'd be looking at another 33 suspensions.

Ludicrous, you say?

Yes, it is.

And in reality, I don't see anywhere near that many suspensions going forward, but there definitely will be some. And they will matter more to some teams than others.

Busch won at Pocono with engineer Johnny Klausmeier doing a great job filling in for Gibson.

That said, the Stewart-Haas Racing team that Busch drives for is one of the sport's elite teams and Busch is an equally elite driver.

But for drivers at mid-level teams -- Allmendinger and Larson, for example -- losing a crew chief is a more a serious blow because they don't have the depth of talent that the top teams do, and they are on the periphery of making NASCAR's playoffs.

If you're a driver sitting 15th to 20th in points, the last thing you want is to lose your crew chief while you're scratching and clawing to make the Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup.

And I'm openly cringing at what could happen when the Chase gets here. Will a crew chief be suspended for two or three races if he gets caught with loose lug nuts for a second time? Would NASCAR take a race win or a Chase spot away over lug nuts?

It sounds absurd, I know, but you better believe crew chiefs are worrying about, too.

Now as for the "be careful what you ask for" aspect of this, the new rules came about as the direct result of driver complaints about safety, because some teams were using four lug nuts on one side of the car and only three on the other at some tracks.

The drivers complained, NASCAR reacted, and the policy was changed.

And just look at the chaos it created and know that the worst is yet to come, at least if you're a crew chief.

In fact, this mess is the very definition of the term "pyrrhic victory."

Stay tuned.

It's going to be a long, hot summer.

Before it's over, you're going to be hearing a lot more about this issue.

And loud, angry voices wondering how the hell to fix it.

Just be careful what you ask for.

Because in NASCAR as in life, the solution sometimes is worse than the original problem ever was.