News:

Truex wins Championship! Thanks everyone for a great year!

Topic: Ranking the best crew chiefs of 2014  (Read 150 times)

Chicago Joe February 15, 2015, 03:20:21 AM

• View Profile
In November Sporting News came out with the 20 best crew chiefs, I find this list helpful with Drivers that do better or worst early in the season.

1 Rodney Childers (Harvick)
2 Paul Wolfe (Keselowski)
3 Todd Gordan (Logano)
4 Alan Gustafson (Gordon)
5 Steve Letarte (Earnhardt)
6 Luke Lambert (Newman)
7 Chad Knaus (Johnson)
8 Darien Grubb (Hamlin)
9 Chris Heroy (Larson)
10 Jason Ratcliff (Kenseth)
11 Jimmy Fennig (Edwards)
12 Dave Rogers (Kyle Busch)
13 Keith Rodden (McMuarry)
14 Tony Gibson (Patrick/Kurt Busch)
15 Brian Burns (Allmendinger)
16 Brian Pattie (Bowyer)
17 Matt Puccia (Biffle)
18 Trent Owens (Almirola)
19 Kenny Francis (Kahne)
20 Slugger Labbe(Menard)

Optional February 15, 2015, 04:20:58 AM (#1)

• View Profile
Dayum... near half that list has changed since last season!

5mike5 February 15, 2015, 10:32:59 AM (#2)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
AmaInf to see how hard that job really is and pressure packed.  It's like they evaluate those guys like they were trying to make an NFL team.  Seriously

nascarwagers February 15, 2015, 01:37:10 PM (#3)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Nothing against you Joe, but that list is complete garbage. Knaus is among the greatest crew chiefs of all-time and he is listed #7 just one spot ahead of Darian Grubb (who they did not even spell right)?? Rodney Childers listed at #1? Why just because Harvick had a great 2014 season? No way Childers gets sole credit for Harvick's 2014 campaign when they had the fastest car at the track on a weekly basis. Maybe the engine guys, but not Childers who had just a handful of wins in his career before 2014. That list is so terrible it actually makes me mad. If I had a top 5, going into 2015 it would look like this..

#1 Chad Knaus
#2 Paul Wolfe
#3 Alan Gustafson
#4 Darian Grubb (lot of criticism around Grubb, but he keeps putting his drivers in position to win Championships)
#5 Greg Ives

If Bob Osborne was not with Trevor Bayne this season, he may be in the top 5. Also, I really like Keith Rodden's potential with the #5 car this year.

Chicago Joe February 15, 2015, 08:22:06 PM (#4)

• View Profile
Nothing against you Joe, but that list is complete garbage. Knaus is among the greatest crew chiefs of all-time and he is listed #7 just one spot ahead of Darian Grubb (who they did not even spell right)?? Rodney Childers listed at #1? Why just because Harvick had a great 2014 season? No way Childers gets sole credit for Harvick's 2014 campaign when they had the fastest car at the track on a weekly basis. Maybe the engine guys, but not Childers who had just a handful of wins in his career before 2014. That list is so terrible it actually makes me mad. If I had a top 5, going into 2015 it would look like this..

#1 Chad Knaus
#2 Paul Wolfe
#3 Alan Gustafson
#4 Darian Grubb (lot of criticism around Grubb, but he keeps putting his drivers in position to win Championships)
#5 Greg Ives

If Bob Osborne was not with Trevor Bayne this season, he may be in the top 5. Also, I really like Keith Rodden's potential with the #5 car this year.

One thing I like to do during the off season is gather information, I use this list as a reference for the first 4-5 races to compare how they performed with who vs. last year. When a driver is doing better or worse, the first thing I look at is the crew chief.  Sure, there many things that need to be considered, but the quicker you can get a handle on a driver or race team, the more wagering opportunities down the line. 

I would like to see more detailed information on this form, so far you guys have done a great job, and your list of the top 5 crew chiefs is just what I like to see more of.

5mike5 February 16, 2015, 02:15:02 AM (#5)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Paul Wolfe is my #1  choice by far