News:

Keselowski wins Clash. Speedweeks continues at Daytona

Topic: Jeff Gordon to retire following 2015  (Read 162 times)

nascarwagers January 22, 2015, 12:05:42 PM

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Guess that solves the mystery with Chase Elliot and Kahne resigning.

Gordon to retire after 2015

5mike5 January 22, 2015, 02:02:33 PM (#1)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
WOW

I'm shocked.  I  was sure he had another 2-3 years driving especially since he has been doing GREAT the last few years. 

Have to admit I'm kinda sad and I'm not a huge fan by any means of Gordon, but I respect the hell out of him. Not many drivers have meant more to NASCAR than Jeff GORDON.  Hell maybe the most Inportant driver.   Gonna take some getting use to for me. Without him after this year.   Wow. 

I would LOVE to see him win a sprint CUP title If this really is his last season racing. 

Could see him being an owner maybe.  Def think he will still be very actve in a big role somwhere

5mike5 January 22, 2015, 06:03:13 PM (#2)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Also saw he said last "full-time" season. 

I can't see him running a part time schedule for anybody else but Hendrick Motorsports.   Maybe the Crown Jewels I guess but he isn't gonna just drive any old car for the sake of driving.  I'm still stunned when jay posted this.

Optional January 22, 2015, 07:01:10 PM (#3)

• View Profile
I guess it's good to see him do it whilst he is still near the top of the heap.

5mike5 January 22, 2015, 07:45:27 PM (#4)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I guess it's good to see him do it whilst he is still near the top of the heap.

Yes that is true. 

Be even sweeter if he went out on top as champion

Optional January 23, 2015, 06:48:57 AM (#5)

• View Profile
Do you think he would still retire if he won the cup?

5mike5 January 23, 2015, 03:45:57 PM (#6)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Do you think he would still retire if he won the cup?

I think he would at his point. 

Im just guessing Chase will be in the #24,for the 2016 no matter what happens with GORDON now.  I just can't see him driving for any other owner than hendrick. But that's just me. 

The man is still better than 90% of the drivers in the CUP series even at his age. 

But maybe with all the back problems, and he has a young and growing family he's just ready.  I mean he's been busy alnkst weekly for what like 25 almost?   Maybe he just wants to slow it down.

And I can't see him driving much of a limited schedule like Mark Martin did at all.  I think it's below him to do that U less he drove in a DAYTONA 500 or 2 maybe but again not sure who else he would feel ok driving for.

Could we see him in the booth  in the future ???????

nascarwagers January 24, 2015, 02:43:34 AM (#7)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Gordon wants to have more time with his family, he has alluded to the fact for the last few years. His retirement has very little to do with his back or competitiveness (in my opinion). Think he is ready to not be tied down to racing on a weekly basis. Surely he will still be around the sport in some ways but just not the grind of a week to week basis.

GP January 24, 2015, 09:34:26 PM (#8)

Reno Paul January 25, 2015, 12:34:37 PM (#9)

• View Profile
 Jeff Gordon was the very first driver I won a bet on.......Think it was the 1999 Daytona 500 @3-1  :lol

Seems like he has a good 5 years left out of him. Kinda shocking to see him leave so soon.