News:

Truex wins Championship! Thanks everyone for a great year!

Topic: US Open Golf - Pinehurst #2  (Read 500 times)

milehigh June 09, 2014, 02:38:53 PM

• View Profile
Gents:

I figured I'd start a thread for this weekend's US Open.  I'm actually a bigger fan of the British Open (even more so than the Masters!) but this year should be a great tourney. 

I'm a North Carolina native and have had the pleasure of playing Pinehurst #2 three times since the renovation.  They've restored the course to the way Donald Ross intended it to be...little to no rough, lots of sandy waste areas and wiregrass...it should be a great test of golf!

Let's pick some winners!

nascarwagers June 09, 2014, 02:57:02 PM (#1)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I agree should be a great tournament.

Milehigh,

Where about in North Carolina are you from?

milehigh June 09, 2014, 03:18:16 PM (#2)

• View Profile
I agree should be a great tournament.

Milehigh,

Where about in North Carolina are you from?

Born in Jamestown/Greensboro.  Went to school in Chapel Hill.  Nashville, TN now.

nascarwagers June 09, 2014, 03:46:11 PM (#3)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Well that probably means you are a TarHeels basketball fan, it's ok we all have our flaws  :lol

I am about 45 minutes south of Charlotte in SC. Big Gamecock football fan and pulled for Duke basketball since Coach K's early years.

milehigh June 09, 2014, 05:10:28 PM (#4)

• View Profile
Well that probably means you are a TarHeels basketball fan, it's ok we all have our flaws  :lol

I am about 45 minutes south of Charlotte in SC. Big Gamecock football fan and pulled for Duke basketball since Coach K's early years.

If that's the case let's stick to talking about NASCAR.  :cheers  :)

I actually grew up a Duke fan but when you're paying for your own college, in-state tuition at UNC beats the hell out of Duke any day.  So yes I am a Tar Heel, but I don't hate on Duke as bad as my colleagues do.

Jmac June 09, 2014, 07:05:39 PM (#5)

• View Profile
Gents:

I figured I'd start a thread for this weekend's US Open.  I'm actually a bigger fan of the British Open (even more so than the Masters!) but this year should be a great tourney. 

I'm a North Carolina native and have had the pleasure of playing Pinehurst #2 three times since the renovation.  They've restored the course to the way Donald Ross intended it to be...little to no rough, lots of sandy waste areas and wiregrass...it should be a great test of golf!

Let's pick some winners!

The Us open is by far my favorite golf tournament. I like it because par means something, and its nice to see professionals struggle for it. I also like the fact that any Joe blow with a scratch handicap can qualify for it.
I haven't kept up with golf a whole lot this year, so I got some reading to do, but glad u started a thread for this tourney!

milehigh June 09, 2014, 09:24:04 PM (#6)

• View Profile
Trying to pick winners or even top 10 finishers at the US Open's rotating venues is daunting...much more difficult than the Masters and even though the British is rotating as well, the conditions are often similar and favor certain players.

I'm hoping someone can chime in and provide some insight.  I think the course is very fair (I actually shot 74 from the tips the first time I played after the renovation), but the emphasis will most certainly be on the short game and who has the best putting stats/scrambling percentage IMO.

If its dry, some of the shorter hitters will be in contention.  The course is now made to play dry and hard, so the ball will certainly roll out and the greens will be like concrete.  My first thought is high ball hitters will do well here...McIlroy is one of those guys but he's a favorite so tough to bet on him...

Optional June 09, 2014, 09:42:44 PM (#7)

• View Profile
I actually shot 74 from the tips the first time I played after the renovation

74!

Remind me never to play for money against you.

Reigle9 June 09, 2014, 10:12:29 PM (#8)

• View Profile
(I actually shot 74
Front or back 9?

:dancelol

milehigh June 09, 2014, 10:29:53 PM (#9)

• View Profile
Damnit you got me  :).

Alright, someone give us some early leans! I hate picking this golf stuff but it makes it more fun to watch and the payoff can be huge.

DDT June 10, 2014, 01:33:07 AM (#10)

• View Profile
I love the  US Open, should be a fun Father's Day weekend.

Reigle9 June 10, 2014, 01:32:10 PM (#11)

• View Profile

milehigh June 10, 2014, 06:54:34 PM (#12)

• View Profile
Only bets so far:

Graham DeLaet Top 10 and Top 20
Jonas Blixt Top 5 and Top 20

Jmac June 10, 2014, 09:08:23 PM (#13)

• View Profile

Im with u on a few of these Day,Dufner, and Els
Also on Rory, Jimenez to win 160-1 top 10 9-1 top 20 +350.
And my I would have a better chance at banging Brooklyn Decker than winning Jeff Maggert 1000-1

milehigh June 10, 2014, 09:42:47 PM (#14)

• View Profile
Where'd you get Jimenez at 160-1?  Only thing I've seen at 5D is 135-1 all day...